Chicago: Teen Edition
“In The Heights!”
Our Summer Intensive
Our TUITION-FREE summer classes and workshops for rising 9th-12 grade students are open for registration!
Classes in Directing, Music Directing, Choreography, Acting, Musical Theater Basics, Costume Design, Lighting Design and Scenic Design will be held at several locations, including the Glenview Mansion Cottage, Gaithersburg Library, and The Ratner Museum, during the month of July. Our Audition Workshop will be in late-August. A Stage Management class will be added soon!
CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS
AND TO REGISTER NOW!!
If you would like up-to-the-minute information, please follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Our email is email@example.com.
Tickets are on sale NOW!
Fri, 6/10 at 7:30pm, Sat, 6/11 at 2pm and 7:30pm, Sun, 6/12 at 4pm
BlackRock Center for the Arts, 12901 Town Commons Drive, Germantown, MD 20874
To see the whole Production Team, cast, mentors and designers who are involved in our spring production, check out our Company page by clicking HERE!
Who We Are!
The Free Theatre is a non-profit 501(c)3, student-run, tuition-free company for students in 9th-12th grade who are passionate about creating theater. Through our mentorship and advisory program, students are trained to be leaders in the creative and production processes, taking on the positions of Director, Music Director, Choreographer, and Stage Manager, and Crew/Design Leads for our full-scale fall and spring musical productions. Students are supported by a team of mentors, working professionals in DC/MD/VA theatre, who serve as resources and advisors throughout the year.
The Free Theatre Non-Discrimination Policy: The Free Theatre shall not discriminate against any person on the basis of age, sex, race, color, background, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, physical, mental or sensory disability, matriculation, socio-economic status, political or religious opinion, or affiliation in any of its policies, procedures or practices.
as of 05/01/2022
We are running rehearsals masked, and are always prepared to adjust our expectations and practices. At this point, for our June performances, we are considering that audiences may be mask optional, performers will be masked offstage and optional onstage, and everyone in the space will be required to present proof of vaccination.
OUR ANTIRACISM PLEDGE:
As an actively antiracist organization, we are condemning, speaking up, and taking action against systemic racist practices and microaggressions in theatre and in the greater community.
* We are committed to diverse, color-conscious casting, and expansive hiring of BIPOC designers, board members and staff.
* We are learning from BIPOC leaders in the community about ways we can effectively usher change into our lives and communities.
* We are retooling our programs to engage in the work that needs to be done to amplify BIPOC voices and those of other marginalized communities.
* We are striving to be leaders in active antiracism, and we welcome and encourage your engagement.
* We have formed an internal committee to actively focus on becoming an antiracist theater company. BIPOC are represented and amplified in the fiber of our organization.